The Bees left the Welsh Capital empty-handed after falling to a 4-1 defeat away at Cardiff City in the Women’s National League.

The first half saw the Bees limited to a handful of chances whilst the hosts enjoyed the majority of the possession and the chances. While the Bees showed resilience in defence, it wasn’t enough to keep out Cardiff.

The hosts started strongly, with two early shots and two early corners which the Bees defended well against. Ellie Sargent and Olivia Thompson combined together well, but the Bees managed to hold them off.

Cardiff opened the scoring in the 25th minute when Thompson met a cross at the back post to put her side ahead. This was followed up five minutes later with a goal from Katie Jones from a corner.

Cardiff found the net again in the 39th minute through Sargent but the goal was disallowed after the tricky winger had strayed offside.

Just before the half ended, the Bees pulled one back to make it 2-1. Flo Gamby picked up the ball and found space before striking a ferocious effort that flew into the top right corner. 

Sian Osmond’s side were immediately pegged back however, with Sargent scoring her first of the afternoon after rounding Hazelton in the very next minute before slotting into the back of the net.

The Bees came out with a renewed sense of optimism and enjoyed more possession throughout the opening stages of the second half. A number of  threatening chances came their way as they searched to get back into the game.

In the 56th minute, Sargent scored her second of the day as she picked up the ball on the edge of the Bees’ box and fired it into the goal.

The next few minutes saw a number of dangerous crosses from Sargent that were collected by Hazelton, who denied Thompson from adding another.

Fresh legs were brought on in the 64th and 67th minutes, as Sophie Lee and Sarah Reid came on for Millie Constantine and Amber Tullett respectively.

The Bees then enjoyed a period of strong possession and carried out a number of promising attacks, winning a corner and then a free-kick.

Danielle Puddefoot lifted the ball into the box with the free kick, and picked out Jancey in the box. The clinical striker came very close to scoring but was acrobatically saved by Laura O’Sullivan. 

The resulting corner was also caught by their ‘keeper, O’Sullivan who showed her credentials which earned her two POTM awards so far in the campaign.

The afternoon ended in disappointment for the Bees as they fell to a 4-1 defeat at the CBB Centre for Sporting Excellence. 

The result leaves Sian Osmond’s side sitting in 6th place after five games, with Cardiff City in 8th.

Cardiff: Laura O’Sullivan, Libby Piggott, Amber Roberts, Katie Jones, Chloe Lloyd, Ellie Sargent, Kelly Isaac, Olivia Thompson, Cori Williams, Hollie Smith, Nadia Lawrence Subs: Klaudie Wojtyczka, Kaitlyn Morgan, Harriet Lambe, Ruby Scahill, Zoe Smith.

Goals: Thompson (25’), Jones (30’), Sargent (45+1’, 56’).

Bees: Faye Hazelton, Jess Burke, Danielle Puddefoot (Chiara Lape 74’), Amber Tullett (Sarah Reid 67’), Frankie Webster, Flo Gamby, Parker Dunn, Hannah Coote, Lauren Heria, Nikki Jancey (Sabiha Jamal 85’), Millie Constantine (Sophie Lee 64’).

Goals: Gamby (45’).

Referee: Jordan Harman.