London Bees play out a six-goal thriller with Leicester City Women at Farley Way Stadium.

Lee Burch’s side found themselves behind after just three minutes as Leigh Dugmore fired home a spectacular volley to put her side in the lead.

Lucy Johnson added a second on 22 minutes to put the hosts in the ascendancy before Lauren Pickett was on hand to bring one back with virtually the last kick of the first half.

The Bees were the much brighter side in the second period and made their pressure count as Nikita Whinnet and Pickett both found the back of the net.

However, it wasn’t meant to be as Nat Johnson headed home a late equaliser. Megan Alexander was on the line to clear, but the officials awarded the goal meaning the points are shared.

The Foxes dominated the opening proceedings and went ahead in some style as Dugmore, on the spin, half-volleyed from inside the box into the bottom left corner.

Looking to respond, the Bees came closest through Bonnie Horwood as she headed just over the bar on two occasions, though Leicester added their second after 20 minutes as Lucy Johnson smashed into the top corner.

Pickett almost brought one back after dancing past two opposition players to find space, though her eventual shot was wide of the near post. Just a minute later, however, she found the back of the net after coolly slotting home under pressure from the Foxes defender. What a vital goal it proved to be.

Following the restart, Sarah Quantrill was called into action as she impressively tipped onto the bar following a shot from distance, and from that moment on, it was all Bees.

Whinnett added her team’s second of the game having got hold of a long through ball before lobbing over the helpless goalkeeper.

Now the dominant side, Leicester almost found themselves level completely against the run of play as Lachante Paul went on a mazy run; her shot, however, was denied by the far post.

With just over five minutes to play, Pickett thought she had won the game for the Bees after hammering home following the goalkeeper’s parry.

But just two minutes later, Leicester were level through Nat Johnson. Having put her head on an in-swinging corner, her attempt beat the crowd and flew agonisingly over the line, to the dismay of the Bees 11.

The referee blew to bring an end to an entertaining 90 minutes and the Bees now look ahead to their Continental Cup tie at Bristol City.


Quantrill, Brooks (52’ Ward-Chambers), Robert, West, Gamby, Alexander, Gibson (72’ Will), Horwood, Hazard, Whinnett, Pickett

Unused subs: Wilson, Loomes, Nunn, Lynch, Dench