The Bees returned to winning ways with a fantastic win over Lewes at The Hive London this afternoon.

Goals from Amelia Hazard and Lauren Pickett saw Lee Burch’s side come from behind after Dani Lane gave the Rooks the lead in rainy conditions in North London

The Bees started the brighter and could have been ahead inside the opening minute as Pickett got on the end of a long ball forward, however she couldn’t put her effort on target from 12 yards out.

Just two minutes later our number 7 was involved again as she was played in by Nikita Whinnett, but she was brilliantly denied by Faye Baker in the Lewes goal. Up the other end, Jess King had a strike from the edge of the box heroically blocked by the Bees defence.

The opening 45 minutes were a great advert for the women’s game and further chances fell the way of Pickett and Zoe Ness at either end of the pitch, however, the wait for the opening goal continued.

13 minutes before the break, the visitors should have led as King raced through on goal, only to fire her effort wide of Quantrill’s post to the relief of almost everyone inside the stadium.

But the Bees didn’t heed the warning and on the stroke of half time fell behind as Dani Lane expertly curled into the top corner from the corner of the box.

But Burch’s side responded immediately has Hazard capitalised on a goalkeeping error to tap home from two yards out to bring the sides level going into the half time break. It was Hazard’s first goal in a Bees shirt and she was worthy of her strike after a fantastic first-half showing.

Into the second half and it was more of the same from both sides in terms of the end to end nature of the game, Quantrill again in action as she made a point-blank save to deny King from eight yards out.

10 minutes into the second half and the Bees led as Pickett netted her fourth of the season as she ran in on goal to slot home, following a mix up in the Rooks backline.

The conditions then took a turn for the worse as the rain poured down onto The Hive London, making it tricky for both sides. The Rooks came ever so close to levelling but were denied by an outstanding stop by Quantrill as she saved well from King’s bullet header.

Second-half substitute Courtnay Ward-Chambers had a chance to wrap the game up but her long-distance effort went just wide of the post.

The Bees were able to hang on and secure all three points to leave themselves third in the FA Women’s Championship going into the international break. They don’t play another league fixture for a month when Palace visit The Hive so it is good confidence booster going into that break away from action.

Up next for the Bees is a trip to City Lionesses in the Conti Cup on the 20th October.