The Bees were left to rue missed chances as they were pegged back late on as Coventry United stole a point at The Hive London. 


It was a cagey affair in the opening stages of the match, with both sides trying to grow into what was dubbed as a “massive game” by manager Lee Burch in the build-up to our last game of the year.

It would be Burch’s side who would make the first opening at a chilly Hive, as Brooke Nunn flashed a header wide of the post following good work by Amelia Hazard. Up the other end, Beth Merrick put an effort over the crossbar.

Our next chance fell to defender Flo Gamby, she had made a bursting run forward, before unleashing a powerful low effort that was saved by Sue Wood in the United goal.

The next 10 minutes had a recurring theme, with the Bees attacking well but being denied by the Coventry ‘keeper. Wood made a fantastic stop from Mel Filis who sent a powerful effort towards the bottom corner.

Wood was our kryptonite yet again as Nunn found a great pass to Hazard, whose shot was on target but couldn’t find a way past the goalkeeper. Hazard was involved again just moments later, as Charlie Estcourt made it to the byline, found Hazard but her effort from six yards rattled the inside of the post. It appeared Hazard was pulled down, but the referee saw nothing doing.

After the relentless pressure, we finally found the breakthrough and in some style too, as Sophie McLean riffled a strike into the bottom corner from the edge of the box. It was an unbelievable way to open her account for the Club and Wood was a mere spectator as the ball whizzed into the corner.

The Bees continued the pressure as we headed into the break, but couldn’t find an important second goal which would have had them in a commanding position at half time.

There was a rare scare early in the second half, as a misplaced Coventry cross struck the outside of the post, with Sarah Quantrill stranded.

The Bees then had a golden chance to put the game to bed, as Hazard jinked and danced her way past two defenders to find her through on goal, but her effort was stopped by Wood. It felt like a big moment in the game, as for the 10 minutes that followed, the game fell flat with neither side creating many chances.

With 20 minutes left on the watch, second half sub, Tricia Gould almost had our second but her long-range effort was tipped over the crossbar, by Wood. The visitors had their ‘keeper to thank for keeping them in the game because on another day it could have been a comfortable afternoon on the scoreline for the Bees.

However, those chances missed came back to cost us, with just 6 minutes left on the watch, as Wilcox saw a free-kick that was surely intended as a cross float beyond Quantrill and into the far corner. It was a sucker-punch goal and the Bees couldn’t believe they had been pegged back, despite their pure dominance throughout the game.

Both sides went for the vital three points as added time approached, but neither could find an opening and the spoils had to be shared at The Hive.

It means the Bees are now four matches unbeaten on home turf, but they’ll be gutted that they couldn’t use their dominance to their advantage to take all three points.


Sophie McLean:

“We’re really disappointed. We went into this game really positive. We’ve had a really good week of training and we needed the three points, but it just wasn’t to be today.”

“The ball landed perfectly for me to hit it first time and it went in.”

“We use every game to build from. There are always positives, but also negatives and things we need to improve on.”

“We’ve played them already, we knew what they are about and I think we dominated both games. But we just don’t create enough opportunities for ourselves at the moment, but we’re working on it.”

“This season could have gone better so far, but we’re remaining positive and looking forward to next year.”

Lee Burch:

You can watch the boss’ interview by CLICKING HERE.